Monday, April 04, 2011

Monday, Monday


Man, I have a bit of the Monday blues. The weekend was just too glorious - we had two bright, sunshiney days, great food, and great company. Now it's Monday and it's raining, I have several loads of laundry, and a sink overflowing with dishes. My sister is gone after a two week visit and I am severely missing her.


But I really shouldn't be too woeful. I got a TON of sewing done over the weekend and I am thrilled with what I was able to accomplish. I also finally took some better pictures of some recently completed quilts - so lots of good posts are scheduled now.



After finishing my HUGE African Dresden quilt top, I rewarded myself by starting a new hand sewing project. The hexagonal flowers I did so many of last year are being put on the back burner for now, so I am starting a small mini quilt for my son (who else?!). It's a really unique idea I have had in my head for almost a year, so I am excited to finally start it.

What do you get when you combine 6 yards of wax-printed Nigerian fabric, 13 half yd cuts of various prints and solids, and 8 yards of white Kona? This gigantic quilt top, of course!
It measures 90 x 108. There are 30 blocks and 50 hearts appliqued onto the quilt. I cannot wait to finish this. The only dilemma is that I have NO IDEA how to quilt it and I have no idea what to back it with. Suggestions would certainly be welcome.
This was definitely Nick's idea to hold this quilt from the roof. It made me a little nervous but it is a fun shot.
This quilt was a bit tedious to put together but I think it was well worth it. I am going to rent time on the long-arm machine this week for two other quilts and I plan on scheduling a time to come back and finish this baby as soon as possible.

4 comments:

Monet said...

Congratulations on finishing your amazing quilt!! I am so excited to see it progress!

Joanna said...

Talk about gorgeous! The photo of Nick holding it from the roof really shows how big it is! Ok for the quilting - if it were me, I would quilt inside each dresden 'arm', say 1/4 inch in from the edges, around each heart within the hearts, and for the white background, I would probably either echo quilt outside the dresdens, or just a plain ol' stipple. Actually, a zig zag type of stipple would look fabulous and would match nicely with the dresden points. It is a beauty, that's for sure!

wishesUT said...

Wow! I love, love, love it!

Micmacker said...

How about backing with a solid and quilting a heart pattern?