Tuesday, July 12, 2011

My First Original Tutorial: Piecing Batting an Easy Way

I know it's a cardinal rule of good sewing blogs to provide numerous tutorials to one's readers. It's just that I am not all that original to come up with all new designs and ideas- and I am not a fan of reinventing the wheel. (Binding tutorial anyone? I am sure there are at least 100.) But I am proud to provide you with a new way to piece batting together that won't make you tear out your hair, require hours of hand-sewing, or nearly ruin a queen sized quilt (not like I speak from experience or anything).

Go to Joann's and buy some interfacing for knits - I found a link here, to give you an idea of what should work. I bought a yard and used my coupon, so the cost was a little over $2. Cut your interfacing into strips 1.5" wide like this: Now- simply place the strip of interfacing over two pieces of batting that are butted up against each other. Iron it in place. Keep ironing strips to join the pieces together - overlapping the strips a bit when you are starting with a new piece. The instructions which accompany the interfacing suggest the use of a "pressing cloth" to adhere the interfacing - I found that this was completely unnecessary (thank goodness - throwing a wet rag on batting doesn't sound like a good idea anyway).

For my Improv quilt, I put strips of the knit interfacing on the back of the join as well - just to be extra thorough and because I had so many pieces leftover. It's probably sturdy enough with one layer though.

So, I have to say that I didn't really "make up" this idea - I had seen ads for "batting tape" in the back of quilting magazines that cost about $15 a roll. If I am going to spend $15 just to fiddle with a bunch of batting scraps, I might as well just buy new batting - queen sized runs about $23, you know? But for a little over $2 - it's much more economical (and easy!) to piece batting scraps together and it's environmentally friendly, right? Plus you might not be so plagued by batting pieces all over the house - feeling consigned to make bibs and mini quilts just to use them up!

10 comments:

sharon said...

What a great idea, I just saw the batting tape and thought it was pretty expensive. I have zig-zagged the batting together, but this would be a better alternative and no extra "sewing" in the quilt is good too.
Sharon

MadeByMeaghan said...

This is a good idea! I always worried about those sew-together techniques and so just continue to buy new batting and keep accumulating those "bib" batting pieces that never quite make it into a bib! :)

Rachel said...

go laurie,go laurie, it's your tutorial, we're gonna party like it's your tutorial....

Joanna said...

Now I have been quilting for 18 years and never even thought of doing this! I usually hand stitch them together but this is great! Proof that you can teach an old dog new tricks! I'll feature it on my Seen It Sunday this week! (If that's OK with you of course!)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

This is sheer genius! I'll be heading to my haberdashery to get some interfacing! Thanks for the top tip!!!

Linda said...

BRILLIANT. Thank you!

Scarlett Burroughs said...

What a clever idea Laurie. A wonderful way to use those scrap pieces of batting! I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://quilting.craftgossip.com/?p=10393

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://craftgossip.com/link-to-us/

Warmly,
Scarlett Burroughs
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

Vicki K. said...

This is an excellent tutorial - I have actually never even heard of interfacing for knits. Thank you!!

innerbanks said...

Absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Diane Swett said...

I love this idea - I used a fusing tape for sleeves but after ironing it one I zigzaged over it. this is much simpler