Monday, November 18, 2013

Baby Doll Carrier and City Sampler 76-78

Sew Mama Sew is featuring lots of free tutorials that provide great gift ideas for the holiday season.  When this baby doll carrier was featured, I couldn't get it out of my mind, but I tried.  I knew it wouldn't be easy.  There's a reason why I love making quilts: they are flat.  Making three-dimensional objects can be a lot more challenging.  I decided to give it a try because it's an adorable doll accessory and Charlotte is loving her baby dolls these days.  I used some stash fabrics, batting scraps, a bit of interfacing, polyfil, and some "artist's canvas" from Michael's to make this.  It came together over the course of a few days.


The inside features a pocket for tucking a bottle or diapers or whatever.  I have to admit that this came out pretty wonky - I had to stuff it in a closet and try to think of other things after it was finally finished.  When you sew the bottom together- you are dealing with 4 layers of batting, the canvas, binding on straps, the interfaced pocket, etc. - binding all that together is not easy.  I couldn't have a more lenient critic than my 20 month old daughter, so I am sure she will appreciate it, flaws and all, when she receives it for Christmas.


Time to update my City Sampler blocks:

 76

 77

78
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

Oh, the baby doll carrier is so adorable. Love the fabrics you choose city sampler blocks.

alidiza said...

Too cute!!! I know it will be well loved:-)

Jen said...

What a great Christmas present. I'm sure Charlotte will love it!

Dne said...

?????