Friday, November 29, 2013

Finish it Up Friday: Harry Potter and Charm Square Little Apples

I hope my US readers had a nice Thanksgiving.  Ours was lovely- it was so relaxing I ended up staying up way too late last night because I finally had some energy get some things done!  We're "lying low" as a family today- I did a little mall shopping on Wednesday and we are using today to clean out and purge our downstairs area.  I love the idea of getting rid of stuff on Black Friday.  Our move to Colorado is finally progressing (we recently thought it might be totally called off!) and we don't want to be caught with too much to do when the time finally comes.

I have two finishes to share today.  I rented the Statler Stitcher at Laurena's last Friday and quilted this quilt in the "Shazam" pattern - all over wonky stars.  It measures 69 x 85.


I hardly ever use panels but made an exception to make this for my sister as a special Christmas gift.  She has been going through some hard stuff lately and I am so glad I have something extra nice for her this year.


 I don't think I will ever use fabric with glitter on it again but it works with this magic themed quilt.  It wasn't difficult to make sure that Harry Potter's face was not quilted on.


Last time I blogged this quilt I was debating whether I should use a HP bed sheet as backing or go with traditional quilting cotton from my stash that wouldn't necessarily match the front.  I know people thought I was crazy but I have heard of quilters putting anything on the back (specifically, chili peppers!) and I wasn't sure if using a bed sheet was the best idea - but I think it was a good choice and I am glad people spoke up and gave their opinion.

Here's a shot of the back:

This is another completed UFO I worked on this week.  This quilt was meant to be: I didn't have to buy anything to make it and I even had the perfect sized batting piece.  


I really enjoyed this easy project and needed a break from all the nonsense I have been putting myself through.


I think I bought this Little Apples print to eventually make Charlotte a dress but I am over the idea of having her wear something with lots of little characters all over it.  It makes a great quilt backing, my favorite part is the girl lying down to read.  I added a strip of Nicey Jane HopDot to the side.  You can see the straight line quilting quite well on the back:

  

This is a picture of my unhappy kids as they waited not-so-patiently for me to take these pictures.  They are really cranky today- wish me luck!

These quilts were two projects from my 4th Quarter FAL goals.  Woohoo!  Linking up to Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.  Thanks for reading!


7 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

WOW! Both are wonderful projects. The Harry Potter quilt turned out really great!

Love the cute girly quilt too. Love the little apples print. My favorite is also the girl lying down to read.

Brenda said...

Really awesome! I love the idea of adding in the little bit of hand pieced hexagons with the charms!

Sara said...

Such a sweet Little Apples quilt---the best part is the hexie flower in the center:)

Jasmine said...

Both quilts are amazing. I think the star quilting is impressive, and you did great not quilting his face. The center of the second quilt is such a nice touch.

Sarah Fredette said...

Yay on the move!! And that baby blanket is the perfect amount of sweet. :D

Jen said...

Two great finishes. I'm sure your sister will love that quilt. I agree, I think using the sheet was a great move.

Ali said...

That's a great Harry Potter Quilt, I wish I had time to do something similar for my MIL before Christmas, I just love all the stars and the quilting!