Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Recap

Today I am in the throes of yet another attempt at potty training my youngest.  You might think that a bathroom accident is unpleasant, but what happened after her accident, in the bath, was much more unpleasant.  I am hiding in the basement with a piece of fudge and I will use this time to write a 2014 personal "review" of my sewing accomplishments.  

The theme of this year seems to be paper piecing.  This mosaic represents several paper pieced projects I have been working on in 2014.  The arrows quilt (middle) was the start of it all and a great project for a beginner.  I definitely found the deer and the horse to be the most challenging.  (The hexagonal flowers are "English" paper pieced and just filled in a gap in the mosaic.)


This past year, I finished twelve quilts and have four in progress.  I definitely did a lot more sewing of "little projects."  After going through all of my blog posts from 2014, I am amazed at all the things I've  made: 16 pillows, 10 bags/purses/totes, 14 zip pouches, 10 toddler dresses, 10 flower pincushions, two sets of curtains, 25 Christmas ornaments, and several other miscellaneous items.

My favorite non-sewn/fabric related project has been the voile windows of my sewing room.  I was so hesitant to do it, thinking I might get sick of it or it wouldn't work correctly.  But it was so easy and I LOVE it.  I am already wondering how I will feel when we move eventually because it's so pretty!  The next house better have a set of French doors!


Here's a finish I couldn't share until Christmas was over: a Sew Together bag for my mom:



I chose the fabrics to go with this needlework tote I made her last year:


I am also happy to report that I've given away about a dozen quilts to friends and family.  I've really tried to be more generous and not let a few previous bad experiences of giving away sewn items prevent me from reaching out and giving a meaningful gift.  Moving made me realize how much I had and that it's not doing anyone any good by having so many quilts sitting in storage.  I am not saying this to brag at all, I am actually embarrassed that it's taken me this long to be more giving.

My goals for 2015 include finishing several quilt WIPs:





I also want to make a diaper bag and two baby quilts: one for our family's newest addition as well as one for my SIL who's due just two weeks before me.  After my baby comes, I am looking at a life consumed by a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and a newborn.  I make no promises for what happens after that!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

samantha said...

How ironic that you are eating fudge after the tub incident! We are training also. My son hid his "accident" in the washing machine today, discovered after I ran it, ugh! Great projects, love the deer!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Happy New Year Laurie! So many beautiful projects! I love the range of fabrics that you use in your projects. Always so interesting!

Karen H said...

I just found your blog (thru Finish it Up Friday). Wow, you have great stuff. I don't even know where to begin. And I must say, only a mother could eat after those kinds of pottying incidents.... I still remember those days. Not for those with a weak stomach........ :)