Monday, December 15, 2014

Marker Folio: Le Challenge: Ink

 Thank you to everyone's kind well-wishes on my pregnancy.  Also, welcome to so many new followers!  As promised, two winners will be chosen tonight, via the random number generator.

I made the mistake of taking a very late in the day snooze on Saturday afternoon.  The consequence was that I could not sleep that night and ended up staying up till 4:30 a.m. on Sunday morning, working on this "marker folio" for my daughter:

She loves this princess fabric.  I only had a half yard and it had been cut into for her quilt that I've been working on- but she's brought it to bed with her and used it as a "blankie" for her dolls.  


I looked and looked for a crayon roll type of pattern that would accommodate markers and a large sketch pad.  I wasn't interested in a tote bag type of pattern.  I finally decided I would have to make my own pattern, which was admittedly tough for me.  The left side obviously holds markers and the right side is a pocket that can hold a coloring book and a sketch pad.

Overall, I am not super thrilled with the results but I know my two year old won't care.  The thing that bothers me is how warped the left side has become with all of the markers in there.  I knew that would happen but I didn't know how to prevent it and I didn't think it would be this obvious.


I have the supplies to make my five year old son one as well and I am leaning towards chickening out and maybe just putting the art supplies in his stocking.  Is that horrible?  I am wondering if he might enjoy a pillow with a Star Wars paper pieced lego character instead......

I am linking up with Le Challenge this month, as their theme is "ink."  I don't know if this is really common with other kids, but I've found that my kids definitely prefer markers to crayons.

Thanks for reading!

Le Challenge

4 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

I think if you made the marker pockets with elastic at the top and just seriously gathered at the bottom it would help with the warping. That's what's done for water bottle pockets and the like. It still turned out cute though! And if she loves it, all the better!!!!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

It looks great and I love the fabrics you chose! My kids prefer pens too, I think they see it as less 'babyish' than crayons! Thanks for linking to le challenge :)

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love it, so useful! Thanks for sharing on le challenge!

MalinisQuilts said...

Lovely crayon holder!
Congratulations on expecting your third baby :)! You are very productive for a young mom with 2 kids and a baby on the way!

Enjoy your pregnancy!