Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Donut Dress

After I finished the fox quilt top, as a little reward to myself, I allowed myself to make Charlotte another dress.  Sometimes I get in a mode of wanting to make dresses all day everyday and that is just not practical- but it's so much fun!

When I saw this donut fabric, I thought it would make an adorable dress for a four year old.  Then I decided to make more of an event out of it and take a special trip to Annie's Donuts with Charlotte wearing the dress.  

Annie's Donuts is a locally famous donut place that is known to be delicious and to have a lot of variety.  My initial impression was that it was a donut place that put candy bars all over their donuts, which truly isn't very appealing to me.  But then I tried their Maple Old Fashioned and I finally understood the hype.  It doesn't hurt that they have warm glazed donut hole samples available too.  


Charlotte was hesitant to stand in front of the counter and have her picture taken but she did great.  The place was really busy and no one paid too much attention.


Here's my crazy crew shown below.  We had a fun morning.  Nick and I didn't go too crazy eating donuts: we've both been trying to lose weight.  Nick has lost 20 lbs and I've lost 10 (typical guy vs. girl dynamics when it comes to losing the pounds!).



The pattern I used was the Oliver and S Bubble dress.  So classically simple and a polished piece.



The button selection at Hobby Lobby is awesome.  It's tempting to start a button stash and just buy a ton there.  The brand they sell is called Sew-Ology and the stuff is much cuter than anything I've ever seen elsewhere.  How perfectly do these pink and white stripes go with this dress?!


With so much to do lately, I felt a little silly giving time to this project, but I just couldn't get the idea out of my head and I figure when you're four years old, you can wear donuts!  It's cute and fun.  Life's too short to not make these fun projects now, before she's older and won't wear hardly anything handmade.

Linking up to Sew Cute Tuesday.

4 comments:

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Your kids are so big! I'm excited to see them again. (And you.) That dress is pretty awesome.

Here's what I'm wondering about your doughnut place: why, out of all the colors in the universe, choose the same colors as Dunkin Donuts for your doughnut shop? Unless those colors make you think of doughnuts when you see them. It does that for me.

Michelle @ From Bolt to Beauty said...

I think there's a lot to be said for smaller projects. I need more of them myself! Quilts -- even the simple ones -- take forever. I can appreciate the thrill of a quick finish. : )

p.s. Did you know you're a no-reply blogger? I couldn't respond directly to the comment you left on my blog. Just wanted to give you the heads-up!

Dresden Lane said...

test

Dresden Lane said...

another test