Friday, May 13, 2016

Weekender Finished!

Picture overload here friends.  Consider yourself warned.  I am just so thrilled with this bag.  I stayed up till midnight last night, hand sewing the lining into the bag and I had a hard time getting to sleep afterwards because I was so excited to be finished and that it looks great.

I definitely feel like I am behind the times when it comes to sewing the trends- and getting into sewing the Weekender is definitely an example of that!  I know I was intimidated- people really make a big deal about how difficult it is to sew this bag.  But it's not that bad, honestly!  I would even do another one.

I did English paper piecing for this outside hexagon panel ages ago and it sat for a long time.  Completing this long-standing WIP feels so good!



This finish coincides with the May Le Challenge link-up with the theme word, "Blossom."  There are lots of floral fabrics included in this bag but my favorite is this older Melody Miller linen weight fabric shown between the handles in this picture.  I have a friend who told me she doesn't really like flowers in fabrics and I was surprised: that's definitely a difficult motif to avoid in fabric!  Luckily I love them.



In this post, I listed many tips about making the weekender.  The only thing I would change is that I would encourage you to make your own piping.  The piping designated in the pattern is much chunkier than the store bought piping and makes a bigger statement.  Making my own piping this time around was easy.  Now I am going to make my own for my daughter's dress- it's not hard!





This typewriter square was the impetus for the color scheme of this bag.  I won it in an IG giveaway.


On my last Weekender, I waited way too long to make and install the lining.  With this bag, I basically told myself I couldn't do anything else until this bag was truly D-O-N-E.  Here are the lining fabrics I chose from my stash:


I installed an interior zipper pocket - something that will definitely come in handy I hope!  I used instructions for how to do so via the Noodlehead 241 pattern- I definitely like her method.



Linking up to Finish it up Friday and Le Challenge.

15 comments:

Havplenty said...

Totally awesome. The color palette is great. Love your bag. I truly need one of these weekend bags.


Jodie said...

Love it! So perfect! You may have encouraged me to finally give it a try...it's a great bag.

Alison V. said...

This is gorgeous!

Barbara Ensor said...

This is the prettiesr Weekender I have seen!

Kay said...

Wow!!!!!!!! This is the best Weekender bag I have seen. I jus love the colours and fabrics you used. x

Gwen said...

Beautiful! I especially like the personal touches.
Thanks for the tips.

Mary Marcotte said...

Wow, you're going to find that bag more than just a little useful! Love the bright colorful touches. Your work looks very professional!

leanne said...

I love this bag ! love the fussy cut dresdens and the EPP - I love all of it - congratulations on an awesome make - so beautiful !!

quirkyhannah said...

OMG! I am seriously in love with your bag and wish I could steal it! Beautiful palette, the hexies and cat dresden particularly catches me :)

Heidi said...

You have mad bagmaking skills Laurie, & such an eye for color! Time to plan a Weekender!
Thanks for sharing tips too.

Judy @ Sew Some Sunshine said...

What a beauty!!! Impressive finish, I love the fabrics all around. The hexie panel is wonderful, so many great details, it's a work of art!

Mara said...

Thank you for the picture overload, you can do more if you want, your bag is stunning and filled with character and lots of work went into it, Thank you for sharing.

helenjean@midgetgemquilts said...

I love your bag . I made one bag once . I enjoyed it but arrgh the piping ! And I used webbing for the handle which was a disaster , must fix that

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

Wow, what a lot of work has gone into your bag, it looks fantastic.

Danette said...

This is a gorgeous bag! I haven't purchased The Weekender pattern yet, but you are making me want to go get it and start sewing. Enjoy your new bag!