Wednesday, May 04, 2016

WIP Wednesday: Weekender

Do I really need another handmade bag?  No.  But I love the process of making these and having a patchwork Weekender has been a dream of mine for a long time.  I kind of bungled my design/fabric choices with my first Weekender, so here's take two:

A while ago I finished this English Paper Pieced panel of hexagons for the outside of the bag.  I laid it on top of a panel of Anna Maria Horner home dec fabric (first quilting around the circles):


Do you notice the piping?  I made it myself!  It wasn't so hard after all.  I would definitely do it again and it's much larger than the store bought stuff.

The next part of the project was considering the design of the other large pocket on the opposite side of the bag.  I considered adding a paper pieced word (Maker? Create?).  As I was about to purchase a paper pieced alphabet pattern, my baby woke up and all plans to continue to sew halted.  It may have been meant to be, however, because when I woke up, I had a new plan to make tiny dresdens:


I really wanted to sneak in a bit of that Catnap fabric, but I didn't want to have a big bag that made me seem like a crazy cat lady with cat faces all over it.  This was a great compromise!

Designing the end pockets were an almost easy decision.  The typewriter was a no-brainer.  Deciding on the other side took me a lot longer.  I finally found a scrap of the double-gauze Princess and the Pea fabric.  The scrap came from making this quilt and the yard piece I had used really looked like swiss cheese- I probably shouldn't have bothered to save it!  But I am glad I did- I love that princess so much!  I love her facial expression and body language- she is so cute and feisty.


Making this bag has proved really therapeutic lately.  Lately I have had a lot on my mind and sometimes my emotions feel overwhelming.  I bring this up not to focus on my current stress level, but more to praise this hobby that is always interesting, rewarding, and fulfilling.  Sewing at night, by myself, with a favorite show streaming from Netflix, has proved very therapeutic lately.  I just don't know what I'd really be feeling if I didn't have this awesome and very healthy coping mechanism.  Most people I know don't have a hobby or interest that they are really passionate about.  I can't imagine that. Occasionally sewing adds to my stress level but more often than not, it truly provides an amazing outlet for me of expression, utility, and joy.  This all probably sounds a little cheesy but oh well.  Sometimes I feel compelled to explain why I do what I do.  I'll be back on Friday with my finished Fancy Fox top.

Linking up to Let's Bee Social.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great share and keep up this great work! All the best to you. awriter.org

Sarah Fredette said...

Doesn't sound cheesy to me at all! I have no idea what I would do without sewing... scrub the kitchen with a toothbrush? :) Making quilts keeps me sane, and keeps everyone around me much happier too. I love those little dresdens, especially the cat one. :)

the zen quilter said...

Really cute bag - i love useful sewing.

Heather said...

I completely understand, it does not sound one bit cheesy to me. I love to knit, sew, read, and bake - I can't imagine not having hobbies I love either. The only time I feel any negative emotions with sewing (other than seam ripping!) are when I feel like I have not been able to fit sewing in and I get a little depressed about it. With young kids I find that I am much more able to knit than sew, but I love sewing best of all. Thanks for writing, I love seeing all your projects. When I can't seem to find the time to make things I still enjoy seeing your work and dreaming of days with more time to sew!

David Summerbell said...

It is just what I was looking for and quite thorough as well. Thanks for posting this. EmblemZone.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanchesginger@gmail.com said...

Such a lovely things. How are you http://customessay-s.com/essay_help.php making them? Can you give us some useful information?

Faisal Ahmed said...

Thanks for this awesome post , your blog deserves to be in my bookmark list.Send Gifts To pakistan

Haven said...

Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me.
funny games games