Tuesday, November 16, 2010

OOPS- I accidently published this post in the New England Modern Quilt Guild blog! Sorry guys!
So in case you missed it, here's the post again:

Nick brought Gregory to my parent's for half the day this past weekend to receive help from my dad in a simple repair on the car. This resulted in me having the house to myself. It wasn't long before I was finally able to put together my Urban Circus quilt top. I am really happy with how it came out but will do a full reveal once it's completed.

Here's a sneak peek:

In preparation for the NEMQG meeting, we all made a tree block to applique patchwork leaves to. Joanna has a great tutorial here. I loved out meeting and appreciated the personal instruction on how to do needle-turn applique but I have to admit I found it challenging!
I rescued another vintage quilt from a thrift store. It needs a wash but for $10 I think I received a great deal!

I love it's scrappy look!

While I was photographing the vintage quilt, I thought it would be fun to photograph two of the first quilts I have ever made: This quilt was from a pattern out of Country Quilts in a Day by Fran Roen. That book was my introduction into how to quilt- it's pretty quirky with deplorable color/print combinations, odd black and white illustrations, and zillions of typos. Still, the book is a bit sentimental, as it introduced me to the craft I really love today.


I have always been drawn to patchwork quilts, so it is not surprising that one of the first ones I made is a bunch of large squares sewn together.

Though I am proud that I have taught myself how to quilt, I wish someone had told me some of the basics - I ended up learning "the hard way" in a lot of cases. I wish I would've known why you shouldn't use Joann's and Wal-Mart fabrics in quilting, the importance of a 1/4" seam, how to quilt a quilt, the importance of quality batting, etc.
What is a sewing/quilting tip that you wish you had known?
(Okay- that was not fun writing the same post twice - why does blogger not allow "cut and paste"!?)

1 comment:

MadeByMeaghan said...

Well, I have officially read this post twice now! :) I tried to comment on the NEMQGB on this post and then it had disappeared! I wish someone had told me about square templates and other smaller rulers rather than my GIANT one before a month ago. haha. It's all a process...Fun to pick things up as you go!