Friday, October 18, 2013

The biggest quilt I have ever made.....

It's finally ready to showcase: my giant Crackle quilt!  This quilt was a long time coming - I thought those triangles would never go away.  Now it's finally done and I love it.  But I have to say that I love it most from far away - this first picture really captures the optical craziness of the design:


I didn't mean to make it this big - it's 100 x 110.  I think I just kept cutting and cutting a lot of my favorite fabrics and forgot that I wanted at least a 6" border on all sides.  I knew I couldn't do much with the triangles leftover- so I had to use them up.


The Crackle pattern is designed and sold by fabric designer Aneela Hooey- it doesn't seem fair that she's so talented!  I made this quilt mainly for curiosity's sake - I had made a smaller version of the Crackle pattern with a layer cake and I enjoyed the process but wanted to see what it would like in a bigger size and with fabrics pulled from all sorts of collections.


Although I am enjoying the precision of renting the Statler Stitcher- there was no way that it would have gracefully accommodated the many 12-point intersections within the many rows.  So I did a simple stipple all over the quilt on the Gammill during a marathon day at Lauren'a longarm studio.



I stalked fabricshack.com to see if they'd finally put their Birds and the Bees fabrics on sale.  I had seen that they had 10.25 yards of one of my favorite prints - Meteor Shower in Sunset- and as soon as I saw that it was less than $5 a yard - I grabbed 9 yards.  I had searched through my stash to see if I could back this quilt with a mix of stash fabrics but there wasn't a lot that matched the quilt and the pieces that did match were too good to not want to be able to use again for another project.


I bound it with a Madrona Road print and it took quite a while to get it all hand sewn but it's done and I am happy!


Linking up with Finish it Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

15 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

Wow! That is one huge but really stunning quilt. Awesome job!
How many hours did it take to quilt this one?

You always out-do yourself.

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Wowser! Congratulations on this large and lovely finish! My goodness...all those pieces! And double congrats on the backing fabric purchase! Looks like you had some fun hanging this quilt up for pictures!

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

Beautiful! That binding fabric is a favorite binding choice of mine. Your quilt makes me want to check out the pattern and make one too :) I'm a big fan of this one, Laurie!

Laura C @ littleandlots said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

You know I love Washi, and seeing Washi in this quilt just makes me smile. This turned out awesome. I really like how you can see different patterns when you look at the quilt from far away. Great job!!!

Little Island Quilting said...

Stunningly gorgeous.

Beth said...

Your quilt is fantastic! I love all the fabrics and love a nice big quilt!

Jennie @ Porch Swing Quilts said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I'm a sucker for big quilts, so this one is right up my alley. Love the backing - what a killer deal you got!

alidiza said...

This is amazing!!! What a fabulous finish... so many gorgeous fabrics in there. I could just pick out my faves all day;-)

diane said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! I love how the colors all work together so well!

diane said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! I love how the colors all work together so well!

diane said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! I love how the colors all work together so well!

diane said...

Wow! What a beautiful quilt! I love how the colors all work together so well!

Stephanie said...

This is a gorgeous finish - I just love it! I meant to ask you today about the washi tape fabric. It was such a perfect compliment and matched all of your colors perfectly! Did you use that fabric as your color inspiration to start with or was it just a perfect fit after the fact?

Cathie said...

Fabulous! Love your colors.