Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Courthouse Steps

When I saw this post on Blue is Bleu, I wanted to drop everything and start making a Courthouse Steps project.  It's amazing how such a traditional block can look so fresh with some bright fabrics.

For my version, I worked with scraps and stash to make a large pillow-sized top composed of 9 blocks.  I used low volume fabrics with colors instead of grey or black.  I opted for the paper piecing route using this template from The Littlest Thistle.  Piecing it traditionally wouldn't have been that difficult but I was kind of in the mood for paper piecing and Tula's Sampler kind of made me tired of teeny pieces for now.  


I think I will stop piecing blocks for this project and make it into a pillow.  I am considering adding a thick border to make it fit a 24" square pillow form.  In the picture below, you can see the border fabric choices that I am considering.


I am leaning towards skipping the border idea and just making it into a 20" pillow.  Any votes or thoughts, dear readers?

Linking up to Quilt Story and Sewjo Saturday:

Fresh Poppy Design

7 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

Love it! I keep thinking I should do courthouse steps something, pillow, quilt, pocket on a tote, something. I love the idea of the border - especially the blue print. And if its at 20" now, you'd only need 2.5" strips on all sides, which isn't that thick at all. Just enough to make the piecing front and center and not lose any to the seam allowances.

MalinisQuilts said...

These are fabulous! I love these tiny courthouse steps!
I would go for the low-volume "Happy Go Lucky" fabric. The other one seems to overpower the blocks.
You could skip the borders too if you want :-).

maria said...

It's so pretty, I love the colours. I think if it's going to be a pillow I'd skip the borders

Lorna McMahon said...

This is sew pretty! Love the neutral background. Really lets those pretty prints shine. I would do the 20" pillow without the border.

dq said...

Fun little log cabin quilt. I love the coordinated scrappy look!

Sharon J. Hughson said...

I like the borders.

Beth said...

Love this block and scrappiness! I would go border less .