Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Feathers Quilt Top Complete

Last weekend, I finished my feathers quilt top.  It is made from all Kona Solids, I think it was "Pacific" that I used for the background, along with a Sunrise bundle.  It is my first "all solids" quilt top and I am pretty excited about it. I've always loved other people's solids quilts but have been so hooked on fun designer prints.  I totally get the appeal of using only solids and I am sure I will do this again.


I am so happy with how it came out and it was honestly a joy to sew.  I had a few issues: completely cutting off the seam allowance of the most time consuming block at the retreat (!) and redoing 45-60 mins of sewing after discovering my son had drastically turned the tension dial on my machine (there will be a lock on the sewing room doors ASAP!).  But overall, this project really did not give me a lot of trouble at all and I definitely credit this to a well written pattern.


I plan to back the quilt in this Alexander Henry Countdown fabric.  I am psyched about how perfect it is for this quilt.  I am also flattered that my four year old son has already claimed the quilt: he's never shown such excitement for any one of my projects before.


This is one of the smallest non-baby quilts I have made, I feel comfortable quilting it on my new-to-me Janome, which I haven't used much for quilting yet. Wish me luck!

Linking up with the Feathers QAL and WIP Wednesday:

Feathers QAL- Show time!!!



12 comments:

Live a Colorful Life said...

What a fun, bright and cheery quilt! And that IS the perfect background fabric.

Jen said...

Your top turned out awesome! Do you see more paper piecing in your future?

Jehnny said...

Your feathers quilt looks great! I love the solids and the back is perfect! As a side note, thanks to my boys, checking all the dials on my machine is the first thing I do!

Aunt Marti said...

Love your feathers! Please contact me about Front Range Modern Quilt Guild -- AuntMarti at 52Quilts dot com

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Hi Laurie! How is the western part of the US treating you? Still creating amazing things I see! The blue background is beautiful and your feathers look perfect!

Tina in Boston said...

Beautiful, Laurie! It's funny that your son wants it! Ilm sure he didn't know he caused you such grief. :)

Renee said...

Oh noooo my kids have totally played with my tension too and I don't realize it until way too late! So frustrating. I can't lock them out of the sewing room, so I'm hoping a machine cover will deter small fingers. Your quilt top is gorgeous! I love the solids, they play together so well. Can't wait to see how you quilt it!

Anonymous said...

So completely gorgeous!

Angela Bowman said...

Looks awesome! Your son is one lucky boy :)

Willow River Piecemakers said...

Really awesome quilt! Love your fabric choices - you will do great - cannot wait to see how you quilt it!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites!!!

Unknown said...

Obviously that was from me, and NOT George :)