Saturday, February 21, 2015

Finish it up Saturday: Lots to Share!

I've tried to go the extra mile for my nephew that's due in about 2 months.  I have five siblings and only two of us are married - I need my brothers and sisters to start having children so that I can continue to make cute baby things.  It's so fun and I love doing it.  

This week, I returned to an old favorite pattern: the "brainy ball."  This thing looks hard to do but it's more time consuming than difficult.  My recent experience in hand quilting encouraged me to try popping the knots through the fabric and it worked!  It worked much better than trying to start the hand sewing in the middle of the ball and trying to come up to the corners for the hand sewing that joins the wedges.  


The sail boat baby quilt is also completed.  I am really happy with it.  I am so late to the party on doing an all HST's quilt!


I ordered this Passport sailboat fabric from Etsy and was sweating it all week, waiting for it to arrive.  The seller sent it very promptly, it just seems like things come slower than they did in MA.  Anyway, I finally gave up on waiting for it and visited a LQS to see if they'd have anything comparable I could use.  The first bolt of fabric I saw was the exact one I had ordered online!  I couldn't believe it because I don't have much luck in finding exactly what I want at brick and mortar stores that cater to traditional quilters!


It's such a perfect fabric for backing a quilt, it's very large scale.  I am not sure what I am going to do with the extra piece I had ordered.


Today was a Front Range Modern Quilt Guild meeting and I was finally able to give the elephant Swoon mini quilt to another member, Noreen.  During show and tell, she shared a mini swoon quilt top she had made- so that made me happy, knowing she likes that design.


This is the mini quilt I received from Cornelia.  I really do have a thing for whales and thought a Narwhal would be a fun twist.  She really put a lot of effort into this!  The quilting is really dense and well done.  She also shared with me that a few of the fabrics are from Senegal- which is definitely special to me considering my love for Africa and African fabrics.


Thanks for reading.

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.

1 comment:

Tamie said...

Your nephew has a very special aunt. The quilt is beautiful and I love the little ball.