Saturday, February 28, 2015

Baby Girl Quilt Finished

It's finished and the whole thing only took me one week.  This really is thanks to an amazingly supportive husband.  He tolerates me ignoring household stuff and the kids (when he's around, obviously) so that I can sew.  Seriously, he's the reason I get anything done.

Anyway- if I have a baby girl next, this quilt will be ready for her.  


This pattern is pretty simple.  I have a friend who started this quilt and she gave me great advice: cut the star fabrics at least a half inch bigger than your background fabric.  This gave me extra wiggle room for dealing with the wonky-ness and making sure the star points sufficiently covered the background area before trimming to size.


Isn't the voile backing dreamy?  I am SO glad I finally realized that there were alternatives to using the dreaded minky fabric for baby quilts.  I also got smart and made myself machine bind the quilt- I have learned through experience that children's quilts that actually get used frequently don't hold up well to hand sewn binding.  My first experience doing this wasn't perfect but I appreciated the time I saved and I am happy that the quilt is more durable even at the expense of having some wonky stitching on the edges.


Today we are celebrating my daughter Charlotte's third birthday.  She is so fun and cute.  I promised her that if I have a boy next, she can have this quilt and I think she really likes that idea.  This makes me feel good because she has said, on numerous occasions, that if I have a boy, "I won't love it or hug him."


Thanks for reading!

10 comments:

Fran said...

Beautiful quilt, love it!

giddy99 said...

I am so in love with that beautiful pink quilt! I wish we had more little girls in our family... :)

Cassandra said...

Absolutely charming! This is such a delightful quilt. I love the fabrics and color choices.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love the layout of these stars! I invite you to share on the Oh Scrap link party happening on my blog. I would love to share it with my readers.

Stephanie said...

It's so precious - I love it! Can't wait to see what you do for your baby boy quilt!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Excellent hubby advice! and I love your colour choices, beautiful ... oh and the backing is great too! Linda

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

oops... excellent hubby support, AND great friend advice! L

Jasmine said...

So cute! I bet it is nice to have finished. I find myself machine binding more and more often now.

Sarah Fredette said...

Oh this turned out so cute Laurie!!! And I'm glad that Charlotte is warming up to the idea of a little brother. She's even cuter than the quilt. :)

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to your little one! LOVE that quilt!