Monday, February 09, 2015

Retreat Productivity

I am back from the FRMQG retreat now.  It was a wonderful weekend that could not have been better.  It was so refreshing to sew constantly without interruption.  I enjoy my children and was glad to see them when I returned, but I didn't exactly "miss" them, if you know what I mean.  In fact- this return to routine today has been a bit of a rude awakening.  Gregory woke up at 5:00 and seemed quite sick.  I cuddled with him on the couch until Charlotte woke up and she was even more sick than him!  I have been kind of a fog all day because I am so tired.  

Anyway, I mostly worked on my Swoon quilt and I made a ton of progress.  I had everything pre-cut and lines were drawn on anything that needed that guide.  I had a mini iron and ironing pad on my table and I just sewed constantly all weekend.  

I completed seven blocks:







I think this one is my favorite:


I wasn't able to complete this block because the fabric I bought on the IG de-stash didn't arrive before the retreat.  I just love that AMH Loulouthi print and I only had a fat quarter.  It really makes me question buying FQ bundles; all too frequently, it's not enough.  I am amazed at the demand for F8 bundles, to me, those are scraps!


Here's a picture of the blocks all together on my design wall at home:


Here's the large pile of half square triangles I sewed together that were leftovers from the Swoon blocks.  It will probably be ages before I do anything with them but the fabrics are too good to throw away.


Overall it was a great retreat with good company.  It was this time last year that I barely had moved to Colorado from Massachusetts and I attended the same retreat.  I am glad to have that year behind me, moving so far is no joke!

I am amazed at how much has changed in a year: I am six months pregnant, my husband started a new position today (a well deserved and overdue promotion), and I am in the throes of dealing with the mixed blessing/headache of "school choice" and kindergarten registration for my oldest.  When I was at the retreat last year, I was kind of in a state of shock and fatigue.  Now, a year later, I am so glad to be feeling better and more sure of myself, so hopefully that will continue.

On my next blog post, I will share the fruits of my participation in the "Secret Sister" swap at the retreat.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday.

9 comments:

Tamie said...

Love, love your Swoon. I have one in progress for my youngest daughter who wants to take it to college with her in the fall. I need to get going.

Gunilla said...

Quite a long move! I am glad that things are going well for you and that you and your family have settled down! And the Swoon, oh I love it!!!:)

Sarah Fredette said...

Laurie!! These are amazing, and they just get better when you put them altogether!!!! I can't believe it's been a year though. Time is flying by too fast! But I'm looking forward our swap, and seeing pictures of your latest cutie!!! :D

Ann said...

Great colour palette for the Swoon quilt. It's going to be beautiful! I have had the pdf pattern for ages and one day I'll get to it!

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about loving your children but not "missing" them when you go away for a bit. Sometimes you just need a break! I love your swoon blocks. Those fussy cut typewriters are adorable!

Anonymous said...

I adore your swoon blocks- such wonderful fabrics all together! I know what you mean abt not "missing" the kids- and I hope yours feel better ASAP.

Kirsten said...

Your Swoon is looking amazing - love how you have featured the cute typewriters too:)

Kris said...

Love this!

Micki @ 2 Dogs Studio said...

Fabulous fabrics and I love your choice of the background. Great job. micki@2dogsstudio.us