Saturday, December 03, 2011

Bird Bath Sherbet Pips Quilt

I couldn't do much yesterday after exhausting myself with the long-arm - so I watched Babe with my 2 year old and after he went to bed, Nick and I watched 3 episodes of Alias. Lots of TV watching while I hand sewed the binding down on this quilt: I started this quilt in June and it feels like it has taken me forever to finish it - but I know that 5-6 months isn't that bad. I had wanted to challenge myself by making lots of pieced blocks - 21 pieces per block makes for a lot of sewing.

The pattern I used, Bird Bath, came from Elizabeth Hartman's The Practical Guide to Patchwork: New Basics for the Modern Quiltmaker. I can't recommend this book enough as well has her blog - it seems like I do a lot of her patterns and tutorials.

I made the process of this quilt extra tedious because of my choices to fussy cut the center blocks and using over 100 different fabrics from my stash - every block is unique.

I rented time at a long arm quilting studio to stipple the quilt in light pink variegated thread.

I backed the quilt in the grey scooter Sherbet Pips print and added several inches of a Henry Glass print to the top and bottom of the backing piece. I bound the quilt in a SP scarf print.



If you look carefully at this picture, you can see the seam line for joining the two large backing pieces. I didn't do this on purpose, but I think it's hilarious that the brunette and blonde scooter boy are joined almost perfectly in several spots, making him look like he has a very interesting hair dye job.
I love this quilt and I am keeping it for myself. It will probably be a while before I take on another project like this that requires such a significant time commitment. I did get pretty tired of working on it along the way!

4 comments:

Jeannette Bruce said...

Congratulations on your finish. I'm sure you will have nice memories when you use this quilt for years to come. You will say to yourself remember when I stood at that long arm for hours on end six months pregnant! Good on you for getting it finished:)

Aimee said...

Beautiful job Laurie!! I love it! And 5 months is nothing - my Pips quilt is still in a zillion pieces! Can't wait to see this one in person!

Karamat said...

Beautiful quilt!! 5 months isn't bad... I haven't even cut into my Sherbet Pips yet.

Splendorfalls said...

It's gorgeous!!