Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Wrap Up

I had a lot of quilting "firsts" this year:

I learned how to use a long-arm quilting machine - logging a solid 24 hours at the studio, primarily doing free motion quilting. I participated in two bees and was able to finish this Purple/Grey Mod Mosaic quilt:

I made a quilt almost entirely out of scraps and did improvisational piecing:

I made a quilt from a pattern by my quilting idol: Sarah Fielke. I can honestly say that this is my favorite quilt that I have made this year.

I came up with my own unique design to create this sentimental mini. It is also one of my favorites from 2011. It is almost all done by hand and honestly took a lot longer than some of the big quilts I have completed.

Here are my stats of what I completed this year:


# of quilts completed: 27


Sizes: 3 mini, 11 baby, 6 twin, 2 double, 3 queen, 2 king


(9 of these were tops from 2010 that I finally managed to finish, 18 were started and finished within the year)


# 0f quilts given away as gifts: 9


(a lot more than I had thought - only one was completely ignored - which definitely made me feel like swearing off giving handmade items as gifts permanently)


# of items made besides quilts: 34

examples include a table runner, a skirt, patchwork sleepsack, bags, etc.

(20 of these were "kid/baby" oriented)


It's been a very productive year. Other sewing highlights include attending Houston Quilt Market and becoming the president of the Boston Modern Quilt Guild.


Thanks for following my sewing journey this year - everyone's support and encouragement means a lot!

2 comments:

alidiza said...

You are amazing!!! Can't wait to see what you accomplish in 2012: )

MadeByMeaghan said...

You are an inspiration Laurie - and not just because you made a lot of quilts. You are so talented! Here's to a creative 2012! :)