Thursday, January 26, 2012

"Here We Go" Diaper Bag

I finally finished a diaper bag I started over the weekend. Thankfully, my son has returned to sleeping at night and taking his naps - so I am feeling much better and sewing like a maniac.

I have wanted to make the "Here We Go" bag from Anna Maria Horner's Handmade Beginnings book for ages. Finding the best combination of 3 different fabrics proved to be the hardest part - I had the Viewfinders and Echino - but could not find another print to use as the handles, accent strip, and interior. I even bought 2.5 yds of a golden yellow polka dot that I thought would work (luckily it was on sale) - that is now added to my stash. Finally, over the holidays - I came across a red home dec pin dot print from the 2007 Denyse Schmidt County Fair collection. I bought it with the intention to use it in a Multi-Tasker tote, but was happy to learn it would go well with this project. I altered the pattern a bit by not including a divider (I've made one before for this diaper bag and found it very cumbersome to put together as well as not very useful in general), adding a key fob/tag, and skipping the bias tape option of finishing the bag. I am happy I made those alterations - much less work and it looks fine.

This bag uses a lot of that very stiff interfacing- Peltex. I love how it gives the bag such a sturdy shape. It will be interesting to see how it lasts over time.



I am planning to make a matching changing pad/diaper case soon.

4 comments:

alidiza said...

Adorable!!! What a great way use for the Melody Miller: )

Alexis Deise said...

Too cute! Love the viewfinders. I don't like dividers either. I always forget what side I put things in and then I have to essentially search two bags instead of just one. :)

parsley said...

VIEWFINDERS!!!!!! I am dying!! What a great thing to see first thing in the morning. I can't wait to see this in person.

Rachel said...

whoa -- you've become a master bag-maker (in addition to quiltmaker) -- very cute!