Monday, February 18, 2013

Bits and pieces

My Dimples "Mega-Bundle" arrived very quickly.  Thanks to Andover Fabrics for being so generous!  I don't know if I will ever win a contest again - so this is pretty exciting to receive my favorite thing of all time - lots and lots of fabric! The possibilities!  There are 135 fat quarters- nearly 34 yards. The Dimples collection is basically a "textured basic" stash builder - not quite a solid and very versatile.

I have lots of new projects I am excited to start but I am finally "in the mood" to finish up some long-standing UFO's (in the spirit of the BMQG UFO challenge).  The Krackle quilt was an old project, I recently basted my Hushabye sampler top, I finished this (but can't seem to find a good opportunity to photograph it), and yesterday I put together this pink and green top:


I got stalled with this project nearly a year ago because I got frustrated with the linear nature of the Jack and Jenny prints - don't get me wrong, the fabrics are adorable!  But my problem was that I was trying to incorporate them into the strip design of this quilt and I didn't like how slanted the prints looked when you cut them selvage to selvage.  I didn't care for the way you had to cut off bits and pieces of the donkeys and boots and how crooked it looked....  So this weekend, I decided to scrap the strips I had cut and just focus on doing fussy-cutting of the fabrics for the framed squares.   I love how it turned out and I am sure I can finish this in time for Charlotte's first birthday.  The donkey/boot fabrics came out right around when she was born and I was so close to buying the boyish versions because I was sure that I was having a second son - it's a good thing I waited and I remember feeling especially thrilled to have a real reason to buy the pink versions. 

My son is still attached to his store-bought Carter's blanket gifted at his baby shower.  (Yes, he's asleep on the floor because this is how he's been napping lately - it's a long story):

But Charlotte is showing a gradual affinity for the quilts that I have made her.  How sweet is this picture?  This is definitely an image that explains why I quilt - no explanation necessary. 

8 comments:

parsley said...

I cannot even imagine the heart attack you must have nearly had pulling 34 yards of free, new fabric out of your mail. !!!! I wish you had video-blogged that :)

MalinisQuilts said...

Wow! That's amazing stash you just got. Congratulations again!

Your kids are so adorable.

Rosa said...

Congratulations,that`s great.Your kids pictures are just adorable.Happy sewing!!

Jen said...

That picture of Charlotte is adorable. It's so wonderful when people use and love your quilts.

Stephanie said...

Too much to comment on! :) The picture of Charlotte is just too cute - love that snuggly baby stage! That boot print is great and I totally share your frustration with fabrics that have strips of prints - I ran into the same issue with the Elephants and ended up cutting it slightly off grain to look straight. Your fussy cut blocks are perfect! And the fabric...drool...

Gretchen said...

Those wellies look great! I never imagined it in a quilt like that. I will definitely bring the piece I got by accident in for you. I've put in on my list for the retreat. Congratulations again on winning.

Gretchen said...

Those wellies look great! I never imagined it in a quilt like that. I will definitely bring the piece I got by accident in for you. I've put in on my list for the retreat. Congratulations again on winning.

Lisa said...

Wow a royal giveaway! Happy dance for you!