Saturday, February 09, 2013

Cross Stitch Fun

Greetings from the Boston area where we are receiving 2+ feet of snow and counting, here's a view from our back door:
 
Thanks to everyone for voting for me in the "Your Andover" contest.  Thanks to the generosity of many people in spreading the word, my numbers have been climbing.  I am pretty excited.  If you haven't yet, you can vote here on Pinterest.
 
This post is to brag about my sister and her recent success with cross-stitch.  I have been trying to get her to sew for ages because I love it but she's more of the book-worm, athletic type.  When she was home over Christmas break, I showed her some fun cross stitch patterns that I thought might appeal to her.  She agreed to try this Harry Potter pattern found on etsy: 
 

The seller had a 3 for 1 deal, so she chose their companion patterns as well:



She soon started finding other pattern sources and whipped this up for a good friend of hers that just became a physician's assistant:

This one is for my daughter, Charlotte (I love it!):

As you can tell, she has really taken off with this new hobby.  I have promised to give her a bunch of my over-abundance of embroidery floss when I get around to organizing it.  I also gave her a standing offer that I would happily convert her creations into  mini quilts or pillow covers if she so desired. 

This little hobby is a great fit for her because she has a bit of an addiction to tv shows on dvd and ESPN - a way to relax after long days of being a school psychologist.  It's a pretty cozy fit to be able to do a little hand-sewing in front of the tv, wouldn't you agree?

Lastly, I figured I would give a shout-out to my mom who just finished this cross-stitch- a project that took years.  There's no way I would ever attempt anything so intricate:

4 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

Wow! Those are some amazing cross-stitch work.

kanewoman said...

Kudos to your family for the beautiful work!

Liz Jimenez said...

Cross-stitching for the win! :-)

Love those Harry Potter patterns. I've got different HP ones I'm working on, too.

Hope you guys are doing OK in the snow!

alidiza said...

So cute!!! I'm hoping you don't re-awaken my old cross stitch addiction... I don't have the time;-)