Monday, February 25, 2013

Donkey Crawl Quilt Completed

There's something about the weekend that always makes my sewing time so much more productive than the average weekday.  It's all thanks to my husband - he really is such an attentive dad and never minds taking over with the kids so that I can accmplish some things.  People often ask me, "How do you get so much quilting done?"  One of the main reasons is that I have a husband who knows I need a break and he supports me. 
 
I finished this fun and simple quilt that I am going to call "Donkey Crawl."  It is a pattern called, "Cub Crawl," from the book: Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop for Quilters.  I am always in favor of simple quilts for kids and this design is so quick to put together that it lends itself to lots of free motion quilting practice. 

I did a different FMQ design in each solid frame for the donkey and boot blocks.  Even though I am not a huge fan of solids, I definitely appreciate their appeal for quilting- so much of quilting designs get lost in prints. 

If you want to try the Cub Crawl pattern, be warned that there is an error - it has you cut enough solid strips for 16 blocks when you are only using 14.  Grr....

I debated and debated on whether to use one of my favorite Laurie Wisbrun prints for the back: Urban Circus in pink and green BUT after observing my obsessive indecision, Nick told me I should go ahead and use something I was less attached to.  The whole "precious" fabric thing is real!  Anyway, I used this fun Alexander Henry print for the back:
I am on a roll with finishing all of these WIPs- but I am aching to start some new things!  In about one more week, I am going to let myself dive into some new projects.

3 comments:

Jen said...

This came out great! I hate when patterns are off a bit. I suppose it was better that you had too many than not enough. I've had it happen where I ran out of fabric because the pattern was a bit off.

KerryQ said...

Good for you for finishing up some WIPs. And you don't need to tell me about hoarding precious fabrics. My biggest WIP is my sewing room. I need some of your will power.

alidiza said...

You know I always love a pink & green quilt:-) So fabulous and the quilting is awesome!!!