Friday, December 06, 2013

Finish It Up Friday: Hexagon Quilt and Baby Shower Items

Another finish to share on this gloomy Friday.  So excited to have this one done, another completion for my 4th quarter FAL list.  Around 2010, I joined the EPP hexagon craze and decided to border them in some dark grey Kona.  SO much hand sewing but there was no way I was in love with it enough to make a full grandmother's garden quilt.  So I came up with the idea of making a giant flower on top of a whole cloth background:


It would've been neater if I had sewed all the gray ones together, but I just sandwiched them tightly together and appliqued them onto the background fabric.


Our town library has a "Be a Santa to a Senior" Christmas tree in the children's department: there are gift tags decorating the trees with names of local seniors and ideas of what they need.  I chose two tags that named "throw blanket" for two women, so I am going to wrap up this quilt as well as this one (Blockapalooza sampler) to donate.  Last year I made 10 pillowcases in honor of the Newtown tragedy- I am thinking I should have an annual tradition of doing some charitable sewing every Christmas season.

I finally used some of my vintage fabric for the backing and some leftover Hope Valley binding from this quilt.  As you can see, I decided to round the corners of the quilt.


I have also been busy with sewing a few gifts.  A friend of mine is having a girl after having three boys.  When I looked at my children's stash fabrics, I was a little surprised at how many boy novelty fabrics I have- I guess I let myself shop a little more when I just had Gregory.  Super Girls came to the rescue for these bibs.  I used a favorite tutorial on Sew She Sews.


I also made some large receiving blankets out of some Joann's stash flannel.  Don't you agree that store bought receiving blankets are just too small?  I always use 1.25 yards of prewashed flannel, round the corners, and do a simple double stitch around the edge.


Linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts Finish It Up Friday.

Thanks for reading!  I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely hexagon quilt and so nice of you to give it to someone in need!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

I agree, so generous and kind to give your quilt away, I am sure they will appreciate it. You've been very busy, well done!

alidiza said...

What a lovely way to make a hexagon quilt without making all those hexies!!! And an even lovelier way to make somebody's holiday:-)