Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Naughty Secretary Bag for Sew Sweetness Bag Contest

I have had the Naughty Secretary Bag pattern bookmarked for ages and it is how I initially became acquainted with the blog Sew Sweetness and its author, Sara Lawson.  I love the details of the design and like that it is a step above an ordinary tote bag.

I am glad that I waited a while to make this bag because I finally came up with the idea to use QAYG panels to construct the exterior bag.  I chose black, white, and gray scraps to make the panels and added a square of Echino Buck fabric in fuschia to match a yard of pink twill I had picked up at Joann's ages ago.  


QAYG is time consuming but it was fun and adds so much structure to the bag without fussing with lots of interfacing.  Here's a picture of the back:


Some side shots:


I made a few changes to the pattern to make this bag my own: I added a zipper to the top, peltex to the bottom of the exterior and lining, and spaced the handles a little farther apart than instructed.  It's a great bag!
I love that it all came from stash too: I only had to buy the zipper.


I am entering this into the Sew Sweetness Bag Contest at Sew Mama Sew:

2 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

This bag is looking awesome. I love that you added the zipper to top. Just perfect. And love the pop of fuschia with blacks & greys.

Laura C @ littleandlots said...

I love the colors of this bag! So many little perfect details--the recessed zipper you added is so smart, and the way the pink curves up around the sides at the top and bottom of the bag is just so attractive. You are on an awesome-bag roll!