Thursday, December 12, 2013

Sew Sweetness Petrillo Bag

 When Sara of Sew Sweetness offered a "buy one get one free" Black Friday deal, I knew I had to get the Petrillo Bag pattern finally.  I had my eye on this design since she released the pattern in March of this year.  This version, by one of her testers is so stylish and beautiful- it took some self control to not just copy her and make the same exact bag.  But I scored some super cheap AMH fabric recently and added some old Amy Butler (grey and white) fabric and made this combo instead:


 The pattern calls for either Annie's Soft and Stable (which is kind of pricey and not available to me locally)  but Sara also mentions that she had a tester recommend "Automotive Headliner fabric."  Touch the ceiling of your car- that's it!  I was shocked to see that my local Joann's carried it and even more pleased when I saw how well it worked and how user friendly it is!  I didn't break a needle once and it all came together really easily.


Another new-to-me notion the bag requires is an "invisible magnetic snap."  My Joann's does not carry this and I didn't want to wait for an online order of some to arrive in the mail.  I sent my husband to the hardware store on his way home from work to pick up some magnets and I sewed four of them into little pouches with some scrap fabric.  I attached them to the headliner fabric pieces as directed - making sure they wouldn't repel each other- and it worked great.


The interior of the bag features a padded pocket for an electronic device and an interior zippered pocket.  I used some Kona Berry I had in my stash for the lining.


I love how striking this bag is and what a unique bag it is compared to your average tote or purse.  I will definitely make this one again.


Entering this one into the Sew Sweetness & Sew Mama Sew Bag Contest:

4 comments:

MalinisQuilts said...

This is such a lovely bag. I love the colors you choose especially pleat is cool.

Magnet was a smart idea.

Sarah Fredette said...

I just put in magnetic snaps last night in a Christmas present! :D Anytime you need them, let me know. My neighbor has them, and I can always drop them off for you.

The bag is gorgeous, btw.

BMQG said...

This is fabulous!!! What a great design and one of my favorite AMH fabrics:-) LOVE IT!!!

Jen said...

What a great bag! I love the color combo you put together.