Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Fabric Tuesday: Hexies

I have been craving some hand sewing lately and my latest cross stitch project was feeling particularly boring this past weekend.  I decided to start a hexagon project using the 1.5" paper templates leftover from my Little Apples quilt.  Deciding on fabrics took me forever because I wanted saturated colors without completely relying on Anna Maria Horner fabrics.  Turns out my stash doesn't lend itself really well to mixing like-prints with her genious-ness.  I finally gave in and let myself choose lots of her fabrics with one or two Amy Butler and Tula Pink pieces.  


I am leaning towards making a giant pillow cover for that pesky 24" pillow form I have had for ages.  I may have cut too much fabric though- which makes me wonder if I should attempt a quilt.  I love Katy's flower garden (Hexy MF) and would love to have my own version.....  I always feel so torn when it comes to choosing projects: like I've said before, I prefer more time consuming designs but I also know how limited my sewing time is - but isn't it that way for all of us?!  When I participated in a quilt forum with Mary and Marianne Fons a few years ago. someone quoted Gerald Roy as saying, "'Quilt in a Day'?  What's the point?"  I think I will reevaluate after I have made the pillow cover.


Yesterday I started quilting my Feathers quilt.  I am doing some straight line quilting as well as free-motion.  I hope to be binding it by the end of the week.


Linking up with Quilt Story for Fabric Tuesday:

Fresh Poppy Design

1 comment:

MalinisQuilts said...

So, true! Complex designs are rewarding at the end.

But do love some simple projects once in a while.

Your hexies are looking great and love your inspiration quilt!