Friday, April 18, 2014

Feathers Quilt Complete

The Feathers quilt is completed.  It's the first major project I have completed in CO from start to finish!  I love it and my son really loves it too.  

We took a quick trip to Red Rock Canyon to go on a walk and get some pictures of the quilt.  It was a windy afternoon, but I think we did okay.


I can't believe how dramatic the solids are- it definitely makes me want to make another solids-only quilt again soon.  I used a Robert Kaufman Kona "Sunrise" bundle and lots of Kona Pacific for the background.  It measures 55" x 66".

I quilted squiggly lines in all of the feathers and did some straight line quilting on a lot of the blue background.


My son was disturbed to see I had hung it on the wall but I promised it would come down soon.



I used a little Kona and some Countdown fabric for the backing.  I found some Architextures for the binding.


I am happy I took on a challenge early in the year to do a paper pieced quilt- I am definitely enjoying that technique more and more.

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts and SewJo Saturday.

13 comments:

Ann said...

Love it, love it, love it! I never would have thought of the Kona Pacific but it really works! Good job!

Jen said...

What a great quilt. I really like the colors you used in this one. I can't wait to see more quilts made from solids from you in the future.

G! said...

Really impressive! I love your colors and love the backing.

jane said...

Beautiful finish, Laurie!

Pinspot said...

I have this pattern, but I admit it seems a little daunting. Yours turned out so pretty, maybe I could try it...?

Cambridge Modern Quilt Guild said...

Lovely quilt, lovely backdrop!

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Absolutely gorgeous - super work! I love the backdrop too, what a super location.

ChristaQuilts said...

I love this!!

MalinisQuilts said...

This is just wonderful! I am loving solids more and more too.

You're right those feathers are very striking on that Kona Pacific background.

Unknown said...

Came over from SEWjo and just have to say the link photo didn't do this justice. This is absolutely amazing and makes me want to do an all solid quilt too..

Shannon Gillman Orr said...

This is beautiful! I love the blue against the red rocks.

Renee said...

It's beautiful!! Great photoshoot location and pictures.

Melissa said...

This is just STUNNING!! You know that. :) I didn't get to tell you in person on Saturday, but this really is striking. I'm proud of you for finishing it! I love the contrast and the colors and just how...alive...it is! You did a great job, Laurie. Great job!