Wednesday, April 09, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Penny Sampler top

My queen sized Penny Sampler is complete and I couldn't be happier with it.  Because of the large size,I had to lay it all out on my design wall in two sections and I am so thrilled with how balanced the colors are.


 I used all stash fabrics: lots of Lecien Flower Sugar and black and white fabrics, with a few other stash favorites.  I think the low-volume b&w's really tone down the sugar-sweetness of the Flower Sugar really well.


One of my favorite fabrics that I used was a fat quarter I won in a giveaway- it has news headlines and ads on it and it's very random.


Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced:


10 comments:

Jennie said...

This is such a pretty top - I love the texty fabrics!

Jen said...

This looks awesome Laurie! Love it.

MalinisQuilts said...

This is stunning, Laurie! One of my favorite quilts! The little pop of reds is really nice!

Mary Huey said...

Just charming!! I've done that pattern with several swap groups and it's such a good scrap/stash quilt!

Sarah Fredette said...

So cute! And I agree, the additions of the small white and black prints keeps it from being too candy store.

Terri said...

Very pretty. I love the low volume colors with the pops of red!
Hugs

Marsha Cooper said...

I love it!
It gives me a new idea for using up some of my small squares too.
It's funny....I see lots of familiar fabrics in your top!

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the fabrics in your quilt! I did dogwood quilting on my version which came out fine but took a long time to finish.

Marci Girl said...

I just adore it, beautiful quilt top, I want to make one now!!!!

DaisyLiz said...

This is FANTASTIC! I think you're totally right about the low volume adding just the right about of contrast to those other sweet colors!