Friday, April 04, 2014

Finish it up Friday: Courthouse Pillow

Happy Firday friends!  I finished this pillow over the weekend.  I decided to omit the borders I had contemplated adding.   I quilted free motion spirals within each of the nine squares.  


I used one of my border options as the backing.  I made a zipped closure and my own pillow form.  As you might expect in a household with young children, this pillow is rarely on the couch where it belongs.


This beast is covering my design wall.  I am loving the look of it so far.  I was skeptical about this pattern because I have been thinking that my most favorite quilts I've made are usually require more complicated piecing.  But sometimes you just need to let the fabrics and colors "sing," right?


Linking up with Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish it up Friday and Kim for Sewjo Saturday:

9 comments:

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Love the circular quilting! Such a great way to compliment your courthouse steps. And of course, you're using one of my favorite prints for the back. Great work. Best, Kate

MalinisQuilts said...

Your pillow is looking awesome. Wise decision to skip the borders.The backing couldn't be more perfect. I need to get this print from Bits N Pieces.

I am also loving your quilt blocks on the design wall. I know I am like you too, always trying to tackle complex designs or something more time consuming. Couldn't agree more, simple designs could be stunning and fun at the same time!

Lorna McMahon said...

I am sew glad you skipped the borders for this cushion. It turned out sew cute! And the backing is absolutely perfect. What a compliment to the front!

Your quilt in progress is looking sew fine, too! Sometimes simple is so much better. Let's the fabrics be the focus!

Nancy said...

Your pillow is bright and beautiful. I love your fabric choices.

Tina in Boston said...

I am seeing more Courthouse steps! Is it the new in thing? I really like your choice of fabric -- on this pillow and just in general! Wise decision to skip the borders. Now, are we going to have a tutorial for a zipped pillow cover? :)

Kathy@KayakQuilting said...

Laurie, your pillow is beautiful! As always a great choice of fabric combinations! And your Penny Patch is looking wonderful!

Lisa England said...

I love the pillow! So interesting to look at all the different fabrics.

Angela Atkins said...

I have a Penny patch taking up my design wall too. Love the colors and quilting on your courthouse steps pillow.

Jen and Joe. said...

Gorgeous!