Monday, April 14, 2014

Thread, Hexies, and a New-to-Me Serger

Good morning!  I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend.  We got a lot accomplished and endured a short sickness, nothing too earth-shaking.

I recently completed my Feathers quilt and G. is enjoying it but I still want to take some fun Colorado-esque pictures of to share on the blog.  The weather hasn't cooperated when we've had the opportunity, but I will share soon.  My thread collection increased significantly as I wanted a tone-on-tone look for free motion quilting the feathers.  Very yummy sherbet-y colors, right?


My hexie pillow is coming along - I am not at the stage of sewing eight blossoms together.  I love basting the hexies, sewing the blossoms, but putting them all together is proving tedious.  Maybe I won't be attempting a Hexy MF quilt after all.


Last night, I began the Noodlehead Road Trip Case and have had lots of difficulty figuring out the pleated pockets.  I even had my husband weigh in, to no avail.  I am hoping to figure it out sometime today.


Having moved recently, I have been perusing Craigslist quite often.  We've needed dressers, toy organizers, and other household items.  But I have to admit that I have also been perusing long-arms and sergers too.  All of the sergers in my budget were crummy brands with bad reviews but finally a cheaply-priced Husqvarna Huskylock 905 popped up.  The lady lived about an hour away but actually commutes to the AFB that my husband works at.  I waffled a little about purchasing it: the price was right and there are nothing but good reviews online, but I have to admit that the learning curve of a serger scares me a little. A new guild friend gave me wise advice, "When you really want or need a serger, you probably won't find as good a model for such a good price."  The lady selling it kindly met with my husband at work and he brought it home on Friday.  I will let you know how I like it.


Stay tuned for some finishes very soon!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't wait for you to find a long arm. You could become the "Laurena's" of your new town! It is definitively something I have dreamed of

Melissa said...

I absolutely LOVE my serger! It's been broken for a while, and I miss it! (It's an expensive fix for something I don't *need*, you know?)
You'll be surprised at what you can use it for. I mostly use it to make flannel receiving blankets and burp cloths and wash cloths, but I also love to serge around the edges of a quilt before I bind it. I know others who attach their binding at the same time, I've just never tried it. :)
You'll be pleased. :)

Harriet Toothfighter said...

I like that you have a serger now. I feel like you should have one. My serger hates me and never wants to work for me or stay threaded. It will work for other people thought, so I know it's not a dud. I love that you're finding great deals on Craigslist!