Friday, October 17, 2014

Finish it up Friday: Novelty Fabric Finishes

Sorry if my regular readers are sick of seeing me make this dress (#7) but the Rollerskate dress is just too cute, easy, and perfect for fun/modern fabrics.



It's no secret that I love Lizzy House fabrics and her style of fabrics is a perfect compromise between my daughter and I.  If Charlotte had her way, everything she wore would be plastered with licensed characters.  If I had my way- she'd only wear Anna Maria Horner and other bright florals....


I also used another fun novelty fabric  and other stash favorites to make a Sew-Together bag for a friend.  I wish I had the stamina to make these for all of my friends who sew- it's just the perfect bag for all your little tools and notions!


I still need to make one for myself but it will happen eventually.  I am going to finally start ordering my zippers on etsy (zipit?) and stop paying the high prices at Joann's.


So what about you- do you like using novelty fabrics?  Are they hard to resist or do you stick to basics/blenders and more "grown up" fabrics?

Linking up to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts and Purse Palooza at Sew Sweetness.

pursepalooza2014

10 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

Me? Grown up? Never! :D Though I don't usually go so far as licensed characters, there is a plethora of cute fussy cut, novelty, absurd fabrics in my stash. :D Zipit is awesome for zippers -- I picked up a mixed 25 pack awhile ago, and am nowhere near using them all. Of course, I haven't been finishing much anyway.... but you can't tell the difference between the zippers, except Zipits don't come with the cardboard, so less trash to pick up. :)

magistra said...

I love, love, love novelty fabrics! And yes, several of them probably come from a children's section. But many don't. Sometimes I'm surprised by how "out there" some fabrics are. But I love them and I hope the fabric companies will keep letting them be printed! It is the highlight of my week if I find an unusual novelty print. 😊

Beth
Magistra13 at yahoo dot com

SuperMomNoCape said...

I love novelty fabrics and do find it really hard to resist them, so for the most part, I don't bother resisting (within reason of course.) I think adults should have fun fabrics too. In fact, I'm in the process of making a baby/child's quilt that I'm keeping for myself as a lap quilt because it makes me smile.

Casandra said...

I absolutely love collecting novelty prints but usually hit a brick wall when it comes to actually using them in a quilt. Love your precious daughter's little dress, sooo sweet!

Fran said...

Such a gorgeous dress!

Jenny said...

Such a bright and cheerful dress, and your little one seems quite delighted!!

MalinisQuilts said...

Those dress are so cute! Charlotte is so adorable in them. Keep making them.

For myself I love modern prints but when I sewing for kids I love novelty prints. I think they're super cute!

Beth said...

Love both these projects!

Anonymous said...

Great projects. Love those bags but they look a bit daunting to me..... Yours is lovely tho.

Samantha said...

Such a wonderful dress- hooray for compromise! (BTW, I'm pretty sure we used to have the exact same playhouse for my kiddos.)