Monday, October 06, 2014

Sewing Funk

Recently I have finished a dress and a quilt that I still need to blog.  I also made some bibs for a friend expecting a girl: 


I have to admit that I am a bit in a crafty funk lately- I am not sure what to start next and lately I've favored watching Disney movies with my son over starting anything new....  I really rushed through my last few finishes and it was stressful- I think I burnt myself out.  I've also fallen into the bad habit of browsing online fabric stores and filling up shopping carts- without finalizing anything- but surely wasting my precious sewing time.


What do you do when you can't decide what to start next?  Am I the only one who can focus too much on the very fun part of acquiring more materials instead of diving in with what I already have?  I'd love to hear your thoughts- it isn't often that I don't just dive into the next project with happiness and enthusiasm.

2 comments:

Sarah Fredette said...

I find re-organizing my fabric to be helpful with sewing funk. Sometimes just seeing all the options you already have can help. Also, you can try taking one of you favorite pictures and create a palette from it, then see what you can pull to match. Even if you don't do anything with the bundle, it still exercises the creativity. :D I also enjoy "flickr diving" -- go to a group you belong to, find a picture you like, then go to that user's favorites, find a picture you like, etc, etc. I always find something different that I probably haven't seen before and sometimes that helps. :D

Harriet Toothfighter said...

Try cleaning something unrelated that you don't actually want to clean or tidy. It's the surest way for me to find out what I'd rather be doing.

And, you rock. I'm sure you'll come up with something awesome soon.