Wednesday, October 22, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Year of the Dear and Union Jack Progress

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the love I received on Friday's post!

I've been waiting a while to splurge on the Forest Abstractions pattern.  I'm not interested in making the whole quilt but I knew I wanted to have that huge stag in my DYO Sampler quilt.  I finally bought it when Pink Castle Fabrics issued a code for 30% off everything in their store.  

I needed a big cut of Kona for the background and the only thing I had on hand that would work was this 2 yard piece of Kona Turquoise I had stashed with the intention of making another Giant Star quilt.  I would've liked to use something lighter so that I could justify using more brights to create the deer- but I am happy with how the head has come out.  It's such a weird color combo: dark brown, grey, gold, yellow, and green- but I like it.  I also have to say that I love having a light box to help me with paper piecing- it's something I never would've splurged on at the store- which makes it the most epic $10 yard sale find ever!!!!!


It's definitely time to share the progress on my giant Union Jack blocks.  I used the very last of this gorgeous Heirloom print to go with the bees:




I've shared these last two in a previous post:


As you can see, the first four blocks coordinate quite well but I didn't do a good job using gold and purple in any other blocks.  I think this guy will eventually become a cushion cover for an England-loving friend:


I won't be updating progress on this Jacob's Ladder quilt too much but wanted to share that I am steadily hand quilting it with some gorgeous DMC variegated perle cotton.  It's relaxing to do in front of the TV and feels quicker than cross stitch.  I would love to have it all completed by the end of the year.


So I am finally on Instagram with the username dresdenlane.  I still intend to blog regularly here- I enjoy all of the elements of blogging too much to walk away.  I am not exactly sure how I am going to interact on IG- it'll be a bit of a process to work that out.  If you are active on IG- please comment with or email me your username so that I can follow you.

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

6 comments:

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, the deer block is bold and beautiful - great color combinations! I am on IG as @quiltingjetgirl.

Teje Karjalainen said...

Oh, the deer is fantastic! I love also your Union Jack blocks! Beautiful colours in the last photo! x Teje

Karyn said...

The deer is very cool!

MBMathis said...

I'm @TheShortMunchkin from Munchkin Quilts - I love using Instagram and that has actually lessened my blogging, but it's more immediate and far more in progress shots. Plus it's fun to see other parts of people's lives beyond the quilting since I also post rowing (my other big passion and time suck). It's nice to see people in their entirety rather than just the fabric based element of their lives.

KerryQ said...

That deer looks very tricky! Great job. And the purple block is my favorite! Don't give it away yet!

Kat said...

That deer is looking great!