Wednesday, October 08, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Union Jack

Shortly after writing Monday's post about being in a "sewing funk," I went ahead and forced myself to sew- sometimes when you don't feel like doing something- you should just do it and eventually your mood will change.

I splurged on a copy of the magazine Love of Patchwork and Quilting a while ago because I loved the cover quilt as well as the large paper pieced Union Jack pattern the issue had.  I thought it would fun to break up some of my bundles and pair bright and colorful large scale prints with complementary blenders from my stash.

Here's my start so far: and AMH Pretty Potent floral with a Hat Box print- these two fabrics were meant to be together.


I think it's becoming obvious that I am enjoying pairing plumb/purple with yellow/mustard:

  


My next combination was a JD Bungalow print with a Heather Bailey True Colors blender.


These blocks are taking about two hours to make- maybe a little less.  They are huge- measuring 17" x 25."  I don't have a particular obsession with England- I just think it's a fun block that showcases large prints very well.  Now if someone would come out with a paper pieced South African flag block- I would be all over that.  Maybe I will make one myself someday :)

Linking up with Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

No comments: