Wednesday, October 29, 2014

WIP Wednesday: Forest Abstractions Stag


I think this guy is a keeper, I am pretty proud of him.  I am not much of a paper-piecer- all of those amazing creations people create just blow me away.  I've been doing paper piecing with the Union Jack blocks- but those are straight lines and squares- this stag is all about angles.  I also had a significant struggle towards the end that was due to a minor pattern error and poor copies of the pattern.  (If you are planning to do this quilt- shoot me an email and I will be happy to share some advice related to the troubles I encountered).   But he's done and I am thrilled.  He's going to be the centerpiece of my DYO Sampler and it's really motivated me to make more and more blocks for that quilt.  I think AMH feathers are next.

I was drawn to this pattern because I think the design is so striking.  I also think it's a nice personal nod to my move to Colorado- we see deer all. the. time.  Once a fawn and a local cat took a nap for hours near each other in our backyard!  I think they like our yard because we are the only house on our street without a dog (don't get me started about the dog mania that exists in this state!)

I probably won't be posting as frequently within the next few months because I am going to start working on gifts for the holidays.  This space won't be totally silent- when I have something I can share- I will definitely be here.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday.

8 comments:

Georgi said...

Love it! It looks very complicated ~ but very cool!

Kris said...

Love this. Esp. like that brown piece on his head with the flower and swirl..so fun!

SewPsyched! said...

Wowsa!! I'll say he's a keeper! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the quilt!

Sarah Fredette said...

I love the idea of using one block in your sampler quilt, rather than attempting the entire quilt. :D Great fabric choices too. Good luck on the Christmas makings! Any more Matroyshkas making an appearance this year? :D

Jen said...

How awesome! I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

Rosa said...

This is just fantastic!

Nancy said...

It looks great. I just bought the Forest Abstractions pattern. What sort of issues did you run into? I a newbie to paper piecing.

Sew Surprising said...

Im about to purchase this pattern but am now wondering if I should maybe look at another one, would greatly appreciate your feed back if you could :)