Tuesday, August 24, 2010

City Weekend Baby Quilt Top

Thanks for everyone's encouragement to attempt that circular quilt.... I don't think I am going to try it too soon because I am just not in the mood for a major challenge right now. I did, decide however, to do triangles today - so that's a bit more challenging than the other kinds of things I have been doing.

I have not yet blogged about last weekend's quilt show - Mancuso- but that is coming. While there, I picked up a charm pack of "City Weekend" and had to start sewing with it immediately.

I really should not have bought the charm pack - so I definitely couldn't justify getting this ruler (which I have wanted forever) - so I had to improvise a way to make half square triangles. Yes, I tried using my normal quilting ruler to draw correct lines down the center of the squares- but that was just a joke. So anyway, I found this 1/4" quilter's tape (undoubtedly bought at a yard sale a while ago) and lined it up down the center of the square and sewed on either side of it. I don't really recommend it, but it worked out okay.
I finished the quilt top today - it was really quick. Unfortunately, I couldn't get decent pictures though- I really rely on outdoor lighting and it's been rainy/gloomy all day.
If you are a child of the 80's like me - please tell me where this song comes from, "Pinwheel, pinwheel.... turning around....." It's been in my head all day.
I have to say that Moda has a good thing going with doing all of these pre-cuts. A charm pack is an affordable little invention that gives you a decent sized sample of every print.... It makes you want more of the fabric when they finally release it in yardage. I have to say that I am a big fan of this line now - when I saw glimpses of it online, at first I was kind of doubtful about it. But it's got a lot of good basics and many prints that are boy friendly.

4 comments:

melisgm said...

Looks great as always!!! BTW do you realize that this is no longer a fabric blog, but a sewing blog?!?! Good job with all you've done lately! So is this what your pinwheel song comes from? http://everything2.com/title/pinwheel

MadeByMeaghan said...

That line is growing on me too. I did half-square triangles with a charm pack recently and I wanted to scream. Maybe you have advice for me about pressing seams.... See you tomorrow!

Monet said...

Oh, that looks so nice, Laurie!! I can't wait to see it tonight.

Maybe--just maybe--I will have my own CW top completed at some point. But who knows...

Natalie said...

The song is from "Pinwheel", a kids variety show from the early days of Nickelodeon, when it was new. I loved that show! :D