Sunday, May 08, 2011

DS Quilts Collection New Wave Lap Quilt

I completed this quilt a little over a week ago but I could not blog about it in case the recipient happened to read my blog. I did mention the acquisition of the Joann's DS Quilts collection fabrics a few weeks ago but didn't go into too much detail about the intended project. This quilt was a present for our former treasurer, Shelly, to thank her for her work in the guild as well as organizing the retreat.

I used nine DS prints and added three from my stash. I had always wanted to try making the New Wave pattern and I enjoyed the process. The only thing that was difficult was lining up the columns so that they would be flush with the pieces above and below them. The best way I can describe it: have you ever made bias binding? Do you know how you have to have a teeny triangle sticking out on both ends of the pieces so that it will line up right? That is what you have to do throughout this whole quilt and it is quite fussy.


I backed it with one of my favorite prints from the DS collection - "Modern Floral" and bound it in the gingham stripe. I straight-lined quilted it with my walking foot and was pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks to Monet for hand-binding it during our car-ride up to Kennebunk.


4 comments:

michele.h said...

Loving my New Wave Quilt.....and to think you had time to make it along with all of your other lovely pieces......thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jeannette said...

Very pretty! It works well with the fabric, nice job!

Aimee said...

Ooh - Shelley - you're so lucky!! I love it Laurie - it turned out amazing!

Micmacker said...

Wow, you got right on that DS Quilts fabric - it looks great!