Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Boston Modern Quilt Guild Retreat 2011

BMQG retreat 2011 was a lot of fun. I think we all had a good time and accomplished a lot. There were 13 of us from all over New England who attended our 3 day event in Kennebunk, ME at the Franciscan guest house. The ambiance and setting of our retreat was amazing. Truthfully though, I didn't take in too much of the scenery because I was relishing the opportunity of getting a lot of sewing done. This picture by the beach was taken on our way out.


There was lots of late-night goofing and joking around. We stayed up till near 3 am on Saturday night- Rachel was very intent on finishing the hand sewing of the binding on her quilt and she accomplished it! Friday night (wish I had used my camera) the highlights included a recreation of the royal wedding (thanks to a LONG cut of batting) and some rolling around in scraps.



Hours before leaving, I took advanatge of the opportunity to use the design wall and placed my near 50 blocks there - I had sewed them all the day before.



We took a machine quilting class from an experienced teacher, McKayla. She really inspired me to attempt free-motion quilting on larger quilts and I also took the opportunity to practice different quilting designs on some practice swatches and my own mini-quilt.







It was A LOT of fun. More pictures to come, including photos of our fabric shopping exploits. I had to laugh that I had said we were planning on doing some "teensy bit of fabric shopping" - that translated into 4 different stops at 3 different fabric stores!!!!!

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Looks like you guys had an awesome time! I am totally jealous!

Sue said...

Wow that looks like a lot of fun! I would love to find more quilters my age too.

michele.h said...

Love that Pop Garden.......and love you, too! xo

Rachel said...

pretty design wall!!

(not pretty picture of me at 3am :) )

GREAT fabric purchases.

Rachel said...

YES! i figured out how to post on your blog!!!!

monica said...

Looks great!! All of it. I especially like the pic on the beach. I wish I had been there.