Monday, May 30, 2011

No, I am not pregnant

Okay - so I think I had some people guessing when I said that I was going to make some receiving blankets. One thing you should know about me: Gregory had burp cloths, quilts, bumpers, a nursery curtain, and bibs before he was even conceived. Additionally, I am a Mormon woman - thus I am constantly surrounded by gestating women and it's nice to have baby gifts on hand.

Now that I have that out of the way, here are three receiving blankets I made recently. Right after Christmas - there was an amazing sale at an online store where they were selling City Weekend for $4 per yard and AMH voile for $6.25. Naturally, I stocked up, but now I am wishing that I had stocked up even more!
These blankets were easy to make: they consist of 1 yd of flannel, 1 yd of voile, and 1.5 packages (4.5 yds) of Wright's double fold bias quilt binding. They really are so soft and I am very happy with how they turned out.

Anna Maria Horner's tutorial leave a little bit to be desired- so here are a few tips:


1. Do not baste the edges together - this just makes them bunch up together and ruffle - not pretty.

2. Sew the edges wrong side together with the flannel on top of the machine - it's more stable than the voile.

3. Buying the bias tape is much cheaper and easier than buying solid voile and making your own.

4. Sew the edges of the rectangle and then cut the curve on the corners, pin the corners, and then apply the bias tape.

5. If you can't find or don't want to buy folksy flannel, as she suggests, invest in another quality flannel because the quality of the flannel does matter - especially if you are already making the effort to pair it with voile.

6. Pre-wash the flannel.

I realize that my "tips" aren't really in order - but they are just some things that came to mind that would've been helpful for me to know in the beginning of this project. Each blanket took about 1.5 hours - so I definitely recommend it as a nice, quick baby gift.

3 comments:

melisgm said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tips

Evelyn Jackson said...

I made a couple of these before my 2nd son was born and I love them. But I did follow AMH's instructions and you're right, not really necessary. I've been wanting to make a few to have on hand as gifts too and your tips have convinced me to do so. Thank you so much for giving me permission to use pre-made bias tape :)

Aimee said...

super cute - thanks for the tips!