Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Bloggers' Quilt Festival Entry

I am dying to share pictures from Quilt Market but I came back to a long power outage and ended up camping out at my parent's home for the past few days. We finally came back last night and I am exhausted and trying to catch up around here.

Meanwhile - I didn't want to miss my chance to enter the Bloggers' Quilt Festival. I am choosing to showcase this mini quilt - a birth announcement quilt made for my son, Gregory. He was born in October - hence the foliage theme.

Most of this quilt was done by hand via English paper piecing, needle turn applique, and embroidery. I love having pieces of one of his baby shirts in the hexagonal background - it's the little white print with tiny bikes on it. This small quilt took a lot of time and it only measures about 18 x 20.5". But I love it and I am proud of my original idea to create a fresh/modern looking keepsake for my son and finally find a way to use paper pieced hexagons without committing to a HUGE project.


Thanks for visiting!

17 comments:

melisgm said...

Yay! I'm so glad you are going to enter it! It's an awesome piece!

Caty said...

This is just BEAUTIFUL! You totally give me a lot of inspiration!! Oh to be able to do something this magnificent some day! ;-)

Erica said...

oh, wow, absolutely beautiful! this is amazing!

Simply Sandy said...

What a great way to use hexies. And I love the keepsake you created. I'll be following you to see more of your awesomeness.

Jeanette said...

This is so pretty, what a wonderful treasure you have made.

trish said...

Oh how pretty. :o)

Teje Karjalainen said...

Wow - that is really fantastic quilt! I love that tree with tiny hexagons! x Teje

Alli said...

This is so cool! I love it! :)

Lynette said...

I love the mix of littler hexies with bigger ones

Jill said...

What a great little quilt! You have a very lucky little son.

Queenie Believe said...

What a great baby boy quilt, your son is quite the lucky lad.
Have a wonderful day.
Always, Queenie

alidiza said...

One of my faves!!! You did such an awesome job on this!

Shannon said...

I love this! I've been piecing with a bunch of hexies lately and wondering what to do with them (not wanting to make a giant quilt) and this is a great idea! How pretty!

Heidi Grohs said...

Love this for using hexies. I've wanted to do them, but not interested in a full quilt! AWESOME!!!

stitchinpenny said...

Such a very special quilt - and beautiful too.

Suze said...

what a cute piece!!

Pieces to Love said...

What a great project.