Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why I Quilt

[Fabrics pulled for twin girls - my next project for a good friend.]

I can't show what I completed earlier this week because I know my friend Alice reads my blog. I completed her kitchen swap item for our guild's swap activity - to be revealed in December.

A while ago, I came across a well written post on Dana's blog: Old Red Barn Co. Dana gave me permission to share what she had written in this post:

[She begins by explaining how difficult it was to explain to a friend what it means when she says, 'I quilt.']

I mean that I create something with fabric. I mean that I choose colors. Cut colors. Sew colors. I mean that I sketch designs and I realize them in fabric. I mean that I cut and sew and press. I mean that my mind relaxes when I do so. I mean that in that repetition my mind is able to reason and solve nagging problems. I mean that the resulting quilt is something I will enjoy for the rest of my life. Or to whomever I give the quilt will enjoy. I mean that I've found something that is all my own. That is an expression of myself from start to finish. And ultimately will be that expression even after I am gone. I mean that I've got this thing to do my hands that brings me happiness. Calm. Satisfaction. Appreciation. Sometimes giddy joy.

I mean that when my children were much younger, more demanding and my stay-at-home life made me feel separate, alone and detached from the world I had a means of re-centering.


Re-balancing.


Finding my worth within myself.


Yep. I cut fabric apart and sew it back together.


And I'm so glad I do.


Life has been pretty stressful here lately and I am finding a lot of comfort in being able to sew. It's so great to have something I can control and be my own thing. It's also nice to have something that can actually be completed - unlike a lot of house oriented projects that are forever needing attention. I am pretty comfortable with the fact that I don't focus the majority of my attention on making things to sell, swap, or even give away. I made myself 3 (going on 4) queen sized quilts for my own bed this year and I don't feel guilty about it. I don't enter shows or contests, write and publish my own patterns, or design fabric. I am not saying that any of this is bad - perhaps I will get into that stuff down the road - but for now, it's just nice to keep my hobby low-key and turning it into a business is definitely not in the cards right now. Have you ever noticed that it's always non-quilters who urge you to sell your quilts? I know their suggestion is a compliment but it's just not a motivation for me right now (not to mention I believe it's rarely cost effective!).


Anyway - I will stop rambling now but thanks for sticking with me if you're still reading. More project posts coming soon.

4 comments:

Jen and Joe. said...

Preach it, Laurie!

Sewing saved me. (But you knew that.) The feeling of control and completion is rare for me, but with quilting, it's ALWAYS there, like an old friend. (Now that I think of it, can I steal this topic for a blog post?)

(Also? I love the colors you chose for the girls! I'm SURE her mom will love it.) *wink*

Pieces to Love said...

What a great post. I love your colors for the girls.

Alexis Deise said...

My friends who don't quilt/sew/knit are always hounding me to make a business out of it. Aside from the fact that I would never be able to support my family doing it, what they don't get is that for me, that would strip away the pleasure and value of it.

alidiza said...

I am reading: ) Well said, I love when people ask what I'm going to do with all my quilts... as if they need a purpose. I quilt so I don't kill people; )