Monday, November 14, 2011

Dots and Ties Completed!

I am so happy to be posting about this completed quilt today. I have wanted to make the quilt on Material Obsession: Modern Quilts with Traditional Roots ever since I bought the book at Joann's about 18 months ago. The pattern is called Dotty for Dresden but I am calling mine "Dots and Ties," thanks to my 2 year old who named it that when the blocks were on the design wall. I don't follow patterns too often, but with this quilt, I wanted to make it exactly like Sarah Fielke's original. The hardest obstacle in achieving that was finding the perfect red/white and white/red dotted fabrics - preferably made by the same manufacturer. It wasn't until I discovered the Michael Miller That's It Dot, that I knew I had a winner!

The only thing I changed about the original pattern was adding an extra column of dresdens so that the quilt would be queen sized. It measures approximately 84" x 100".


This is the second large dresden quilt I have made this year. I just love the simplicity of the block: it looks impressive but it is not hard to do.

I quilted it at Laurena's longarm quilting studio in Burlington, MA. I did free motion swirls of various sizes. It used quite a lot of thread and took me four hours.

I was really afraid to add any fan fabrics that were very dark but if I had to do it over again, I would throw in a dark green or a really dark purple. I like how the bright blue fans seem to really stand out.

I was tempted to wait for the Flea Market Fancy reprint to back it in the green bouquet print, just like in the MO book. I am glad I went with this DS for Joann's print instead - turns out that green bouquet print isn't being reprinted after all (yet? fingers crossed!).

Sometimes I feel bad about always splurging on decorative backings - but half the time I find ways to buy them cheaper than Kona and it just looks so great to have that pop of design and color on the back.

I feel so happy to have completed this quilt and I have been enjoying it on my bed ever since.

7 comments:

Amy Friend said...

It's such a happy looking quilt. Congratulations on the big finish!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Congratulations on your beautiful finish! I've always loved this quilt too and yours is no less beautiful than the original.

alidiza said...

This is awesome!!! You did such a beautiful job. Please, please bring it on Saturday so we can see it in person: )

Jen said...

I totally love decorative backings, so great choice! Isn't it great to finish something so big.

Aimee said...

So beautiful! I love it!

Rachie said...

What a beautiful fun & bright quilt! Really beautiful job! It's a lot of fun to look at the pictures of it! I'm no quilter like you! I've only done some simple blocks and I've never done the quilting process, just ties. Beautiful!

Dana said...

super quilt! im working on mine at the moment- i was just wondering when you have appliqed on the small circles do you also cut 1/4 inch around the back to release the paper or do you just cut a small slit? I was just a bit worried about cutting across the seams and the book dosnt confirm what to do with the smaller one? Dana danaandlee@hotmail.co.uk