Friday, November 04, 2011

Quilt Market Fall 2011

If you are looking for a recap of stellar fabric collections that were displayed at Quilt Market, I am afraid I cannot provide that. Kim Kight at True Up is posting frequently about all of the new lines.

My purpose in attending Quilt Market entailed meeting and talking to lots of people from fabric and pattern designers to bloggers to fabric company marketing directors, etc. I loved being able to meet so many people and it wasn't even that intimidating. It's a cliche - but really - it was fun to meet so many nice people and realize that although I put them on a pedestal - they are all just normal people! I met so many people that I didn't get pictures of: Denyse Schmidt, Anna Maria Horner, Sandy Klop, Laura Gunn, Sarah Jane, QuiltDad, etc.

My favorite experience was getting to meet Anne Kelle - she was SO nice and sweet and she actually remembered the whale blanket I had made for Gregory a year ago. She had had a friend make a girl version for her and I told her that she should have called me and I will make her another one (since she gave it away to a friend having a baby girl!). My friends took pictures of us together - so I will post one of those when I get a copy. This pattern designer, Carolyn Friedlander, was a doll. I fell in love with her tree quilt.

Here's Lu Summers - one of Moda's newest designers - a gal from England who was so friendly. Looking forward to her new line this spring - Summersville.

I was able to take a class with Eleanor Burns on doing "sassy stars." Ms. Burns is so funny and you can really tell that she loves what she does. I had to tell her that her "Log Cabin in a Day" was one of the first quilts I ever made and it really got me started with my quilting hobby.

Alice and I were able to meet Aneela Hooey - designer of Sherbet Pips, Little Apples, and the newest: A Walk in the Woods. I told her that I love her fabrics and am making a quilt for myself.

I was nervous to meet Ty Pennington but figured, why not? His new line is very striking!

Sandi Henderson was probably the most down to earth designer I met - the kind of gal you would want to live nearby so that you could have playdates with your kids together and grab lunch now and then. She's got a lot in store for all her fans - I am excited!

Of course I had to get a picture with the Cat in the Hat. The only Robert Kaufman designer I didn't get to meet was Laurie Wisbrun - to my great disappointment!!!!

Rebecca got to meet Melody Miller and was so EXCITED! I love the typewriter print for her new line.
I really didn't take enough pictures at QM - but the whole weekend was a busy blur. The most pictures I took were of Sarah Fielke's work. I will have to do a separate post on that - and it's great timing because I just long-arm quilted the Dotty for Dresden quilt yesterday!


Thanks for visiting! I have a lot of posts in store for the blog right now - maybe a little more about QM but I also have managed to complete quite a few projects lately!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Looks like you had a blast Laurie - Yay!

Alexis Deise said...

So fun -- we had a lot of updates from Rebecca and Alice at the sew-in last night, can't wait to hear more!