Saturday, November 05, 2011

QM Accessories Made by Me

Before I went to Quilt Market, I knew I wanted to make myself a bag. I decided to go for a "fall" theme mostly to narrow my focus because choosing fabrics from my stash is often the most time consuming task when it comes to doing a project. I chose Denyse Schmidt's County Fair posie for the handles and Heather Ross' wildflowers from FFA III for the body of the bag. I used a self-published pattern found on etsy called the Nikki bag. I used random brown prints for the lining and pockets: a Michael Miller daisy print and a "Baubles and Bits" print for the pockets. The pattern was perfect- I had no trouble following it at all.


I also decided to make a "pocket clutch" by Keykalou Designs. This project was SO fun and easy to make. I can see making many more of these and I would also like to enlarge the pattern and make bigger versions.

I wanted to use the same fabrics as I had for the exterior of my Nikki bag, but I didn't have enough fabric. Instead, I used Henna Garden and a FMF print. This clutch was a perfect holder for my prescription glasses.

One of the most fun aspects of these projects was that Denyse Schmidt herself complimented me on the Nikki bag (she's the designer of the handle fabric!). I promise I didn't use her fabric to suck up to her but it was cool that she noticed it!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

these are terrific!

alidiza said...

Your bags are awesome!!! The orange was fabulous: )

Aimee said...

Love them, Laurie! I may have to buy that clutch pattern - it looks fantastic!