Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Clouds and Rainbow Baby Quilt

Thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I was able to finish this rainbow log cabin quilt recently.  They closed the Air Force base on Monday and Nick got to have a paid day off of work.  What's a girl to do in this situation?  Work like mad on a WIP and hope that the power stays on while your husband watches the kids.  It ended up working out pretty well:

The pattern for this quilt comes from the Better Homes and Gardens Quilts and More Spring 2009 magazine.  The inspiration for the quilt came from this rainbow Riley Blake fabric pictured below - I loved the use of the dark blue in the print and thought that adding an element of "gray clouds" to the whole thing would be fun. 
 Like a lot of quilters in blogland lately, I have been using Angela Walter's new book to try out some new free motion quilting designs.  I think I like the paisley and woodgrain the best so far.  I attempted a different design in each log cabin strip, some more successfully than others.
 I think my favorite is the pebbles within the light blue pearl bracelet fabric:
 I used some AH "Love American Style" fabric that had been in my stash for ages, I am pretty sure the selvedge said "2006."  I bound it in an Erin McMorris Urban Garden purple print.
I am entering this quilt into the 2012 Blogger's Quilt Festival
Finished quilt measures: 51.5" square
Quilted by: me
Best Category: Favorite Baby Quilt, Favorite Scrap Quilt, Favorite Home Machine Quilted Quilt

5 comments:

Jen said...

You did a great job on the quilting! I can't wait to see this one in person. Glad to hear you weathered the storm okay.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

This is so cheerful and pretty and I agree, the quilting is wonderful.

CitricSugar said...

Oh, my! Your quilting is fantastic!

alidiza said...

So much to love!!! It's beautiful and your quilting is amazing, especially the paisley;-)

MalinisQuilts said...

Beautiful quilt and love the quilting too!